Reading Challenge: Back to the Classics 2021 Planning Post

 



1. A 19th century classic: any book first published from 1800 to 1899 - The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot, which comes highly recommended by a friend. 
 
2. A 20th century classic: any book first published from 1900 to 1971. All books must have been published at least 50 years ago; the only exceptions are books which were written by 1971 and posthumously published - Probably True Grit by Charles Portis, which was published in 1968 and just qualifies for this challenge.

3. A classic by a woman author -
Probably The Keepers of the House by Shirley Ann Grau, although I may sub in Austen if I run out of time.

4. A classic in translation, meaning any book first published in a language that is not your primary language. You may read it in translation or in its original language, if you prefer -
The Odyssey by Homer. I'm going to use the new translation by Emily Wilson, and am excited to see how it stacks up. 

5. A classic by BIPOC author; that is, a non-white author -
Probably Passing by Nella Larsen. I'm also holding Jubilee by Alice Walker in reserve. 

6. A classic by a new-to-you author, i.e., an author whose work you have never read -
I've always been intimidated by William Faulkner, but I'm going to try something by him this year. Probably Light in August or Soldier's Pay, his first novel.

7. New-to-you classic by a favorite author (a new book by an author whose works you have already read) - Probably something by Austen here, since I would like to read her works (or at least the "big six") in publication order. Mansfield Park, Emma, and Persuasion are all new to me.  

8. A classic about an animal, or with an animal in the title. The animal can be real or metaphorical. (i.e., To Kill a Mockingbird) - Probably The Keeper of the Bees by Gene Stratton-Porter.

9. A children's classic - Either The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (published in 1961) or The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (published in 1908).

10. A humorous or satirical classic - Probably The Haunted Bookshop by Christopher Morley. This is the sequel to Parnassus on Wheels, which was one of my absolute favorites for 2020. Suggestions for this category are welcome!

11. A travel or adventure classic (fiction or non-fiction). It can be a travelogue or a classic in which the main character travels or has an adventure -
Either West With the Night by Beryl Markham, Wind, Sand, and Stars by Antoine de Saint-Exupery, or Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain. (Apparently I want to read about pilots, unless I want to read something by Mark Twain.)   

12. A classic play. Plays will only count in this category - I'm stumped here, although I'll probably read something by Shakespeare that I haven't encountered yet. (Sadly, the only things I've read so far are King Lear, Julius Caesar, and Romeo and Juliet. Maybe it's time for a comedy?)

Comments

  1. I'm reading Innocents Abroad for the adventure category. I hardly know what it is about, but a friend of mine said it was entertaining. So, we'll see...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! I've never read it, but I usually enjoy anything by Twain.

      Delete
  2. What a great list. I didn't realize there was a sequel to Pernassus on Wheels! I really enjoyed that! I adored The Wind in the Willows! I recommend finding a copy with illustrations you like, because that definitely makes it an even more enjoyable and whimsical reading experience! The Keeper of the Bees is on my list too, which is here, if you'd like to see: https://elle-alice.blogspot.com/2021/01/back-to-classics-2021-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation on The Wind and the Willows, I'll keep that in mind! It looks like you've got a fantastic list mapped out for this year! I've never heard of Brown Girl, Brownstones, but it sounds like a great counterpoint to a Tree Grows in Brooklyn, which is on my long (long!) tbr list. I'm also going to add something by Wendell Berry to my list.

      Delete
    2. I hadn’t heard of it either... I googled titles and it cans up, and I chose it for that exact reason (sounded similar to A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, which I loved!)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

January 2021

Mount TBR Challenge